Elizabeth H. P. Backfish, Ph.D.
- Ph.D. in Old Testament Theological Studies, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, IL, 2013. Dissertation title: “Writing the Right Words from Left to Right: Septuagint Translation of Wordplay in the Fourth Book of the Psalter”
- M.A. in Exegetical Theology, Covenant Theological Seminary, MO, 2007. Thesis title: “A Lexical Analysis of Tsdk in Isaiah 40-55”
- B.A. in Biblical Studies, Montreat College, NC, 2004. Thesis title: “The Heavenly Ministry of Christ’s New Covenant High Priesthood: An Exegetical Study of Hebrews 8:1-13”
Libby has taught undergraduate and graduate level students for eight years, and she has been teaching in various capacities in the church for nearly twenty years. She enjoys researching and teaching a broad range of topics pertinent to the Old Testament, but her areas of specialty include Hebrew poetry, the book of Psalms, and textual criticism. Some of the Hebrew poetic devices that she enjoys exploring most are wordplay, alliteration, and metaphor. In addition to various projects on Hebrew poetics, she is currently researching for a book project on the cultural context of Old Testament Theology.
Libby stays busy adventuring with her family: skiing, rock climbing, riding bikes, and otherwise exploring this beautiful area of California. She and her family make their home in Roseville, CA, and they are active members of Granite Springs Church in Lincoln, CA.
- “Biblical Wisdom as a Model for Christian Liberal Arts Education,” Christian Higher Education (forthcoming in 2019)
- Hebrew Wordplay and Septuagint Translation Technique in the Fourth Book of the Psalter. Library of Hebrew Bible/Old Testament Studies. New York: Bloomsbury, forthcoming in 2019.
- “Transformations in Translation: An Examination of the Septuagint Rendering of Hebrew Wordplay in the Fourth Book of the Psalter,” Journal of Biblical Literature, Vol. 137, No. 1 (Spring 2018), pp. 71-86.
- Numerous journal and dictionary articles, book reviews, and papers presented at professional conferences.