What Does a Web Developer Do on a Daily Basis? Your 2024 Guide
Web developers are in high demand as more and more businesses move their operations online. But what does a typical work day look like for a web developer? Read on for a deep dive into the day-to-day responsibilities, skills, work environments, and career outlook for this exciting career path.
The Life of a Web Developer
As consumers increasingly rely on the internet for shopping, banking, entertainment, and more, companies must establish robust online presences to remain competitive. This has led to huge demand for skilled web developers to translate client needs into websites and web applications that are functional, visually appealing, and easy to use.
Web developers are professionals who build websites and web applications using a variety of programming languages, frameworks, and other technical tools. Their primary duties include meeting with clients to understand website or app requirements, writing clean code to build web pages and interfaces, integrating graphics and other media, ensuring cross-device and cross-browser compatibility, optimizing site speed and security, and occasionally generating site content.
So what’s an average day actually like for these builders of the internet? Let’s take a peek!
Typical Daily Activities
While every web developer’s daily routine will vary substantially based on their employer, specialization, and current projects, there are a few core tasks that take up much of their day.
Coding and Development
Naturally, writing code makes up the bulk of most developers’ workdays. Here are some of the main coding tasks they tackle:
- Writing backend code to enable site functionality – For dynamic websites and web apps, backend code handles everything from user authentication and databases to API integrations and server configuration. Languages like PHP, Python, Java and C#/NET are common here.
- Optimizing site speed and performance – Developers must ensure fast load speeds and seamless interactivity by minimizing files sizes, utilizing caching, implementing image compression, cleansing unnecessary code, and more.
Of course as a developer adds new features or functionality, fixes bugs, or maintains existing digital products, these coding responsibilities continue in perpetuity.
Meetings and Collaboration
Since modern web development often occurs in teams alongside other roles, meetings make up a significant portion of developers’ schedules for alignment.
- Daily standup meetings to share progress, obstacles, and next steps
- Working sessions with UX/UI designers to review new interface concepts
- Gathering requirements from product managers and stakeholders
- Providing development updates to keep leadership informed
This cross-functional collaboration ensures all players are on the same page throughout the web building process.
Testing and Troubleshooting
Before any site or application launches, thorough testing and fixing of bugs is critical:
- Identifying cross-browser and device testing issues then tweaking code for better responsiveness and functionality
- Pinpointing performance problems then optimizing page load speeds
- Catching graphical glitches and fixing faulty user paths that cause crashes or confusion
Addressing negative user experiences quickly is a top priority for developers.
Learning New Web Dev Skills
With new frameworks, libraries, best practices and more emerging constantly, staying current is crucial. Common learning activities include:
- Reading programming blogs and documentation for new skills
- Taking online web development courses to expand abilities
- Experimenting with new languages and technologies through pet projects
Making learning a consistent habit prevents a developer’s skills from becoming outdated and rusty.
Beyond this standard set of tasks, a developer’s specific duties depend heavily on their current web projects and domain. But ultimately these four categories make up the backbone of most developers’ daily working lives.
Key Skills and Qualities
Given the complex mix of technical and soft skills needed to thrive as a developer, certain innate qualities and abilities are quite advantageous. Here are some of the most vital competencies:
- Expertise in server-side languages like Python, PHP, Java – For integrating logic
- Experience with common frameworks like React, Angular, Node – For rapid development
- Version control systems such as Git – For managing code changes
- Web development tools and IDEs like Visual Studio – Central coding hubs
- General comfort navigating technology – For debugging issues
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills – For identifying issues and solutions
- Collaborative teamwork ability – For cross-functional coordination
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills – For interacting with colleagues, clients and leadership
- Time management and organization – For handling multiple deadlines and tasks
- Creativity and patience – For overcoming complex challenges
- Attention to detail – For writing functional code compliant with specifications
- The drive to continually learn – For keeping skills and capability current
Developers who demonstrate these technical and human strengths tend to excel.
Frontend vs Backend vs Full Stack Developers
While all web developers work toward building digital products, they tend to specialize in one of three main directions:
Frontend Web Developers
Frontend developers may also occasionally produce written or graphical content, but mostly focus on bringing designers’ visions alive through clean, appealing interactive code. Monitoring metrics like page speeds and conversion rates also comes with the territory.
Backend Web Developers
Alternatively, backend web developers work behind the scenes on server-side application and database logic, API integrations, security, deployment automation, and all other unseen infrastructure that supports a smooth user experience. Programming languages like Java, PHP, Ruby, Python, and Node power these more complex backend systems.
While backend developers don’t craft the visual interfaces, they build incredibly multifaceted mechanisms that enable amazing dynamic interactions through sensible data storage and lightning fast queries and processing. Their work is absolutely mission critical to a properly functioning site.
Full Stack Web Developers
As a hybrid of the other two roles, full stack developers possess a strong command of both frontend and backend languages, frameworks, and best practices. This allows them to own a product from conception through completion with little need for handoffs.
Highly sought-after but difficult to master, full stack developers can tackle literally any layer or component of the stack all the way down to server configuration and database optimization. Full stack skills take years to cultivate but offer unparalleled end-to-end ownership.
Ultimately web developers enjoy a certain set of shared duties around building, testing and maintaining websites and applications. But diving deeper into frontend, backend or full stack disciplines delivers more specialized skillsets.
Common Work Environments
Thanks to the digital nature of their work, web developers may find themselves in a variety of work settings:
- Fully remote roles with flexible schedules
- Traditional corporate offices for larger tech teams
- Startups with more fluid expectations
- Freelance contracts from anywhere
Certain work conditions also apply toward many developer positions:
- Ability to work independently for long stretches
- Occasional tight deadlines as projects near launch
- Intense collaboration when issues emerge or requirements pivot
While web development does demand intense focus and problem-solving skills, the tangible digital products created provide immense satisfaction. And developers’ specialized skill sets remain highly sought after and well compensated at companies large and small.
Ready for This Amazing Career?
If you’re wondering how to become a web developer, Jessup University’s Bachelor of Science in Computer Science is just your ticket. Jessup University presents a comprehensive program blending theoretical foundations with extensive hands-on application. Core courses equip students with technical abilities most sought after by employers. Adding specializations like Cybersecurity, Software Engineering, or Data Science allows for targeting of specific interests professionally.
What is computer science? It’s the field of study that focuses on computation, information, and automation using computers and computational systems. It’s the backbone, foundation, the absolute best degree for web development, and can lead you many directions within the tech space.
Jessup integrates faith-based principles alongside teaching technical programming and problem-solving abilities relevant in modern software disciplines. Students gain not only coding proficiency, but explore examining technology intersections with Christian ethics and values.
Through a blend of theoretical and hands-on learning, the program’s multidisciplinary approach develops well-rounded graduates ready to enter professional roles or further graduate studies. Students flourish through increased technical sophistication, mentored research opportunities, and building a personal faith foundation enabling their gifts to shine benefiting society upon graduation.
Your Journey Starts Today!
Life as a web developer brings no shortage of variety with a healthy mix of independent coding, intense collaboration, creative problem-solving, and continual learning required daily. Impactful work and strong compensation combine to make web development an appealing long-term career choice.
If you seek to blend your interests in computing with desire to examine its profound influence on individuals and humanity as a whole, Jessup University presents an exciting choice. Our graduates pursue diverse careers they find meaningful via strengthened character and convictions alongside computing skill sets powering the leading technologies, companies, and innovations shaping our world.
Learn more about Jessup University’s distinguished Bachelor of Science in Computer Science program by contacting an admissions representative today. Turn your aspirations into reality and begin forging your future in web development or related technology fields with spiritual enrichment guiding every step ahead.