Richard has a passion for history and sea otters. He teaches American History, American Frontier, California History, History of Contemporary American Cinema, Research and Historiography, World Civilization I, World Civilization II. He loves getting students excited about learning the history of the world we live in and is always trying to make his classes enjoyable for every student.
- Ph.D., University of California, Merced
- M.A., California State University, Stanislaus
- B.A., California State University, Stanislaus
- Sea Otters: A History. Forthcoming in December 2018 from University of Nebraska Press
- Dane A. Morrison, True Yankees: The South Seas & The Discovery of American Identity. Itinerario: International Journal on the History of European Expansion and Global Interaction 42:2 (August 2018): 321-322.
- Jared Miracle, Now with Kung Fu Grip!: How Bodybuilders, Soldiers and a Hairdresser Reinvented Martial Arts for America (Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland & Company, Inc., 2016). Sport in American History, November 18, 2017, https://ussporthistory.com/2017/11/18/review-of-now-with-kung-fu-grip/
- John Wills, The Forgotten Governor: Fernando de Rivera and the Opening of Alta California (Minneapolis, MN: Langdon Street Press, 2015). Journal of the West 55:2 (Spring 2016): 99-100
- Douglas Brode and Leah Deyneka, Eds., Myth, Media, and Culture in Star Wars: An Anthology and Sex, Politics, and Religion in Star Wars: An Anthology (Lanham, MD: The Scarecrow Press, 2012). Historical Journal of Film, Radio and Television 34:2 (2014): 318-320
- R.G. Robertson, Competitive Struggle: America’s Western Fur Trading Posts, 1764-1865 (Caldwell, ID: Caxton Press, 2012). Journal of the West 52:2 (Spring 2013): 92
- Sea Otter Aesthetics in Popular Culture. In Daniel Moorehead, ed., Animals in Human Society: Amazing Creatures Who Share Our Planet (Lanham, MD: University Press of America, 2016)
- George Lucas Out of Love: Divorce, Darkness, and Reception in the Origin of PG-13. The Historian 78:4 (Winter 2016): 690-709
- Grounds of Our Claim: William Sturgis and Commercial Diplomacy on the Northwest Coast. Columbia: The Magazine of Northwest History 28:1 (Spring 2014): 14-20
- With Kirsten Livingston and Hannah Zimmerman, A Revised List of Vessels Engaged in the California Sea Otter Trade, 1786-1847. International Journal of Maritime History XXIV:2 (December 2012): 225-238