Update #6 – Southeast Asia

Hello everyone!

Kylie here bringing you the last update for team Southeast Asia! First of all, on behalf of the team, I would like to say “thank you! thank you! thank you!” for all of your support and prayers throughout our journey! We have loved to see how many of you are following along with us on the blog! We are so grateful for each of you, as you have played a huge part in making our work in this country possible!

The last couple days we have been finishing our painting project in the EFC (emergency family care) center, which actually used to be a brothel. It has since been taken over by AIM and transformed into a shelter for young girls to prevent them from being trafficked. It was so powerful to work in a place that was once used for such evil, helping to renew it into a space that will continue to help so many precious little girls. Once we finished painting all the walls pink, we started painting some with artwork and inspiring words. Walking into the room, one is able to see where the walls built to separate brothel rooms once were. After those walls were broken down, there were rectangular prints left on the current walls. Monique, Emma, Sierra, Kayla and AJ decided to paint a cross over one of those prints. It was so beautiful to watch them do so, as it was symbolic of something broken being renewed. Revelation 21:5 came to mind, which we decided to put on the wall as well: “ He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!”Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.””

I worked on another painting project, in which I wrote “Daughters of the most high King.” I was so honored to have the opportunity to remind those lovely little ladies that no matter what they have been through in life, they are loved and valued and cherished by the One who shaped them with his own mighty hands. They are princesses because they are daughters of the King.

The EFC staff members hosted a little gathering for us on the last day of the project. They were so generous and gave us a beautiful handmade thank you card along with traditional Khmer scarves (called Kramas) and a rose for each girl on our team! We took pictures and talked about all of the artwork we had added to the walls. They were so pleased with the room and said that it felt like a new place to them. It was so moving to see the joy on their faces. We are all so excited for the little girls who live there to explore the new space!

As a side note, I need to mention how much we have loved visiting the sweetest lady next door to EFC. She has such a kind spirit, not to mention she makes the BEST coffee ever! It is so delicious! We have enjoyed sipping on that while we work!

We have loved getting to pour our hearts into this special project. We cannot wait to see this place continue to be used for God’s glory. Throughout our time here, we have been so amazed by the powerful transformation that has occurred in this little village through AIM. What used to be the red light district, a horror filled place made up of streets lined with brothels, has now become a place of safety and comfort. There is still lots of progress to be made in this country, but God is surely at work! We are so humbled by the opportunity to serve this community.

With this, we are sadly approaching the end of our time here. We have become so close with the staff, disciples, and children here in the community and it will be extremely difficult to leave. We will soon have to say such painful goodbyes, but we are comforted by the fact that we know we will see these brothers and sisters in Christ again, whether that be here through another visit, or someday in Heaven. I’m sure many of us would love to return, as we have fallen in love with the work that God is doing within so many lives. For me personally, I have fallen in love all over again, just as I did last year. I know now more than ever that a huge part of my heart is here and I already cannot wait to come back.

The team is so excited to return home to all of you – we have missed you so dearly! We are so thankful to God for blessing us with this opportunity to serve him and show his love to his children in this part of the world. Thank you again for all of your support and prayers! We will see you all soon!

~Kylie and the team

Join the discussion 4 Comments

• Kyla Dehkordi says:

I have loved reading all these updates, and all that God has been doing on this trip! Praying for safe travels. Cannot wait to hear more when the team gets back!

• Cindy Anderson says:

I has been so good reading your updates. Safe travels home. God bless you all

• Relena Ogawa says:

Thank you so much for these blogs and the updates. You are all so very special and I am so moved and inspired how each one of the team has brought such love,joy and fun to this experience. I’m so blessed that my son was able to be a part of it and can’t wait to hear all the details and adventures. Travel safe. God bless you all.

• Nancy Hall says:

Thank you for all of the updates & photos. All of you have been blessed as well as blessing others through this visit! We are proud of each one of you for doing God’s work so lovingly. My heart swells with love & happiness when I see the photos of the beautiful walls you painted! May God bless each one of you!