DIGITAL COMMUNICATION & DESIGN
DIGITAL COMM & DESIGN
Bachelor of Arts
The Digital Communication & Design program combines elements of a traditional Communication Studies degree (Social Media Marketing, Digital Journalism, Message Design) with a Digital Design degree (Video & Sound, Digital Imaging & Composition, Motion Graphics). These are the tools necessary to design and deliver messages to an inter-connected world. They are complementary skills, and the combination of the two produces graduates that are productive, insightful, and highly employable.
15 WEEK SEMESTERS
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Digital Communication & Design is a New Degree for a Digital Age. It’s a Communication Studies program for the new millennium where creativity and technology meet. It’s a place to learn the skills that are indispensable for every organization, every business, and every ministry.
A digital world demands that universities today offer something beyond the traditional Communications Degree— a program that occupies the unique intersection of creative visual content and the contemporary media channels that allow any individual to reach the world through a keystroke or the click of a mouse.
Digital Communication & Design courses will give you the ability to design messages and deliver them to an inter-connected planet. Social Media & Journalism combine with Digital Imaging & Interactive Media to teach skills that are as essential as I.T. in today’s world.
Digital Marketing (Online Only)*
- Major Courses (9 units)
- CART101 | The Creative Christian
- COMM180 | Speech
- PSYC322 | Small Group Dynamics
- Core Courses (38 units)
- ART107 | Introduction to Digital Art
- DCD101 | Introduction to Mass Communication
- DCD104 | Storytelling: Analog to Digital
- DCD201 | New Media, Technology & Society
- DCD210 | Writing for the Media
- DCD222 | Digital Workshop
- DCD340 | Visual Communication
- DCD380 | Critical Thinking and the Media
- DCD475 | Media or Design Internship
- DCD480 | Media, Ethics, and Law
- DCD498 | Senior Capstone
- LDRS175 | Career Exploration for Freshmen and Sophomores
- LDRS375 | Career Exploration for Juniors and Seniors
Digital Communication & Design Concentrations: Students must choose a concentration listed below.
- Media Concentration (12 units)
- DCD310 | Writing for Digital Platforms
- BUS320 | Marketing
- DCD312 | Journalism in the Digital Age
- BUS492 | Marketing Research
- Digital Design Concentration (12 units)
- ART311 | Video and Sound Design
- ART331 | Graphic Design I (Digital Imaging & Composition)
- ART312 | Motion Graphics/Motion Design
- DCD452 | Interactive Media Design
- Journalism Concentration (15 units): A 15-unit concentration in Journalism can be earned through a one-semester program studying at a partner university in New York. Students must have completed one full year of education at Jessup before attending the Journalism Semester in NY. Contact Jessup Lead Faculty for Digital Communication & Design for details.
- Digital Marketing Concentration (12 units)(Online Only)*
- BUS322 | Social Media Marketing
- BUS325 | Email Marketing
- BUS324 | SEO & SEM
- BUS422 | Digital Marketing Analytics
To view all courses and course descriptions, please see our current Academic Catalog.
In addition to taking the “Journalism in the Digital Age” course on Jessup’s Rocklin campus, students in the Digital Comm Journalism Concentration will spend one exciting semester attending King’s College in New York. Students will experience academic classes at King’s College’s renowned Journalism program, and internship experiences at New York news outlets. Contact Lead Faculty Paul Robins for details on the Journalism Concentration and the King’s College Journalism Semester in New York.