Derek Martin is a professional actor, director, choreographer, producer and educator and has spent the last eighteen years working professionally in the Arts, Media and Entertainment. Previously, Derek was a professor of theatre and Chair of the BA in Theatre at Regent University in Virginia Beach, VA. He is a member of Actors Equity Association, Stage Directors and Choreographers Society, and Christians in Theatre Arts and has been a recognized actor/combatant with the Society of American Fight Directors. Derek has worked professionally at some fantastic theatres around the country such as: Connecticut Repertory Theatre, The York Theatre Company (NYC), Virginia Stage Company, Virginia Musical Theatre, The Palace Theatre, The Musical Theatre of Connecticut, The Round Barn Theatre and many others performing in such shows as “SINGIN IN THE RAIN, THE MUSIC MAN, WEST SIDE STORY, THE SECRET GARDEN, HELLO DOLLY,” to name a few.
He was the lead in the multiple-award winning short film, “THE NOBLE LIE”. He has choreographed broadway’s Carol Jaudes in her one woman international tour of “And Sarah Laughed” and performed as “Chris” in the table-read cast of CBN’s hit animated series, “SUPERBOOK!” Derek is also the Artistic Director and founder of the professional summer theatre company – THE AMERICANA THEATRE COMPANY in Plymouth, MA. Where he spends every summer producing theatre with his beautiful wife, Jennifer (also a faculty member of Jessup and a fantastic performer) and his family. Derek and Jennifer live in Roseville, California.
- MFA Acting/directing from Regent University
- BFA Musical Theatre from University of Hartford
- Produced – REDEEMING LOVE by Francine Rivers and AN INSPECTOR CALLS by J.B. Priestly during the 2013 season
- Produced -- MOONLIGHT AND MAGNOLIAS by Ron Hutchinson and a brand new farce called THE COTTAGE by Sandy Rustin during the 2014
- Performed -- David O. Selznick in the play MOONLIGHT AND MAGNOLIAS
- Directed LITTLE WOMEN: THE MUSICAL in April, 2014.
- Performed -- Scrooge in SCROOGE: THE MUSICAL in November, 2017
- Article “The Gift of Art and the Gift of Tongues” re-published by crosswalk.org